Hi car lovers! Welcome to another car review. Today we will be looking at how long do Dodge Grand Caravans last?
Grand Caravans, launched in 1987, is the Dodge’s bestselling model in America and one of the best minivans in the western hemisphere.
It is the perfect choice for families as it can contain up to seven persons comfortably. Contained in this article is all the needed information you require to
These Are The Top Points In The Article
- 1 How long do Dodge Grand Caravans last?
- 2 How Reliable Is a Dodge Grand Caravan?
- 3 Why did they Stop Making the Dodge Grand Caravan?
- 4 How Long can do Dodge Grand Caravan last before Rusting?
- 5 What is High Mileage for a Dodge Grand Caravan?
- 6 How Long Do Dodge Grand Caravans Last In comparison to Similar Car Models?
- 7 What are the Worst Years for Dodge Caravan?
- 8 What is the Best Year for Dodge Grand Caravan?
- 9 How Long Do Dodge Grand Caravan Transmissions Last?
- 10 How Long Do Dodge Grand Caravan Spark Plugs Last?
- 11 How Long Do Dodge Grand Caravan Brakes Last?
- 12 How Long Do Dodge Grand Caravan Tires Last?
- 13 What is the Insurance Cost of Dodge Grand Caravan?
- 14 Tips to follow to Enhance the Lifespan of your Dodge Grand Caravans
- 15 How Long Do Dodge Grand Caravans Last | Watch Video
- 16 Conclusion
How long do Dodge Grand Caravans last?
The Dodge Grand Caravan can last for 13 to 17 years, translated to 200,000 and 250,000 miles mileage, before needing major repair if properly maintained and driven properly.
How Reliable Is a Dodge Grand Caravan?
The Grand Caravan is not known for having frequent significant repairs. It is one of the few cars with the best healthy ratings.
RepairPal, based on the reliability ratings, scored Grand Caravan 4.0/5.0, placing it as the 2nd position out of 8 for minivans.
In addition, Kelly Blue Book, based on the consumer index of 373 consumer reviews, rated the Dodge Grand Caravan a reliability score of 3.9 out of 5.
What is the Average Annual Maintenance Cost of a Grand Caravan?
The average annual maintenance cost, including repair expenses, is $673, compared to an average annual repair cost of minivans which is $647.
As stated earlier, the frequency of it having major issues are few; as such, you can save more using a Grand Caravan.
Why did they Stop Making the Dodge Grand Caravan?
The Dodge Grand Caravan at the Windsor Assembly Plant wanted to stop production at the end of May 2020, but it was later shifted to August 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic national shutdown. This was made known to the press by Jodi Tinson, FCA’s communications lead for manufacturing and labor.
How Long can do Dodge Grand Caravan last before Rusting?
There is no specific time-bound for rusting to occur in a Dodge Grand Caravan.
However, there are reports of rusting by car owners leaving in coastal, swampy, or areas heavily covered by slats. And one of the parts of Caravan is the rocker panels – so they need to be given more protection if you live in such areas.
So, if you live in such areas, it is highly pertinent to wash your vehicle at least twice per week, including the undercarriage, to avoid the slat buildup or affecting the metals.
However, according to research, owners of Caravans in dry and hot areas have not reported any rusting issues. Only paint fading issues are being reported.
Do note that rust can spread very fast on Grand Caravans, so treat any appearance of rust with urgency. If it is beyond you, do contact your local dealer or car technician for repairs.
Other protection to take to avoid rust includes:
- Usage of undercoating protection
- Use of an anti-rust spray.
- Proper storage: Store in a cool, dry area, preferably a garage.
What is High Mileage for a Dodge Grand Caravan?
One hundred thousand miles is considered high mileage for a Grand Caravan. However, they can last longer than these, but the thing is that they will be more prone to wear, tears, damages, and even engine failure.
So buying a Dodge Grand Caravan of 100,000 miles is not very risky, as it can last you for a good number of years. You need to check some factors, and if it is green for all, you are good to go,
Some of the factors that you need to check before buying a second hand Dodge Grand Caravan include:
- The number of previous owners. A general rule is that the more the previous owners, the riskier the car is; the fewer the previous owners, the safer the car is. If one family owned it and drove it to its high mileage, you will be assured it is taken care of. But never buy a minivan driven by more than three owners.
- Maintenance history. Check if the car is appropriately held and maintained. And the owner must provide evidence of this.
- Check the CarFax. This helps to provide a clearer picture of the wear and tear that the car has experienced. Review the information to ascertain the real issues; it is good to go if the problems were minimal and not related to engine or mechanical parts.
- The proposed time you want to be using the car: if you have plans of keeping the minivan for an extended period, you must calculate whether it is going to be more expensive to maintain or it will be better you add up to get a new
How Long Do Dodge Grand Caravans Last In comparison to Similar Car Models?
Entail in the table below is the various ways in which Dodge Grand Caravan last compared to other similar car models.
|Dodge Grand Caravans||Toyota Sienna||Honda Odyssey|
|Dodge Grand Caravan is a very reliable minivan||Toyota Sienna is a well-known minivan and a close competitor to Grand Caravan.||Honda Odyssey is a popular van among consumers.|
|In terms of longevity, The Dodge Grand Caravan can last for 200,000 miles to 250,000 miles.||In terms of longevity, the Toyota sienna lasts for between 250,000 to 300,000.||The Honda Odyssey lasts for between 250,000 to 300,000, more than that of the Grand Caravan.|
|In terms of reliability, the Dodge Grand Caravan is scored 4.0/5.0 based on the reliability rating of RepairPal.||In terms of reliability, the Toyota Sienna is scored 3.5/5.0 based on the reliability rating of RepairPal.||In terms of reliability, the Honda Odyssey is scored 3.5/5.0 based on the reliability rating of RepairPal, which is less than Caravan.|
|The annual repair and maintenance cost of Grand Caravan is $673||The yearly repair and maintenance cost of Toyota Sienna is $554, which is lower than that of Grand Caravan.||The annual repair and maintenance cost of Toyota Sienna is $547, which is $126 lower than that of Grand Caravan.|
What are the Worst Years for Dodge Caravan?
According to CarComplaints, the 2002, 2005, 2008, and 2011 model years are named the worst Dodge Caravan model. They have reported cases of them having significant breakdowns and issues before reaching 100,000 miles.
The 2005 model has the highest complaints so far, but the 2002 model is the worst of them all due to its frequent issues at lower mileage, electrical problems, premature transmission, and high repair cost.
Other issues include engine stalling, premature brake wear, transmission failure, complex gear changes, and dysfunctional air conditioning.
To find the worst years of the Dodge Grand Caravan, we searched the database on carcomplaints.com.
What is the Best Year for Dodge Grand Caravan?
The 2020 Dodge Caravan model is the best model of Dodge Grand Caravan. So far, there have been zero recalls or complaints on the 2022 model.
However, models from 2017 onwards are said to be reliable with only a few reported cases. CarComplaints state this.
How Long Do Dodge Grand Caravan Transmissions Last?
On an average scale, the Dodge Grand Caravan transmission can last between 130,000 to 180,000 miles.
How Long Do Dodge Grand Caravan Spark Plugs Last?
The Dodge Grand Caravan can last for about 30,000 to 40,000 miles before needing any replacement.
The Spark plugs should be inspected regularly as they are responsible for creating the spark that ignites the air/fuel mixture in the car. If abnormity steps in, it might result in something dangerous.
How Long Do Dodge Grand Caravan Brakes Last?
On an average scale, the Grand Caravan brakes can last for 30,000 to 70,000 miles if and driven smoothly and braking done carefully. This is because constant full braking can wear the brakes quicker.
How Long Do Dodge Grand Caravan Tires Last?
Dodge Grand Caravan tires can last for four to five years, translated to 50,000 to 60,000 miles on an average scaling if properly maintained and driven properly.
However, the number of miles driven yearly also affects the lifespan of the tires. To increase longevity, the tires should be rotated every 7,500 miles.
What is the Insurance Cost of Dodge Grand Caravan?
On an average scale, the full coverage insurance for the Dodge Grand Caravan is $105 monthly or $1,264 yearly.
However, the insurance cost may vary from city to city and from one auto insurance company to another.
Tips to follow to Enhance the Lifespan of your Dodge Grand Caravans
- Regular examination of the air filter, including changing the oil.
- I am keeping up with the scheduled maintenance time.
- Periodic checking of the vehicles’ fluids, including the tire pressures
- Avoid careless driving that can strain your engine; drive smoothly. This will not only enhance your engine but prevent your vehicle from unnecessary tear and wear.
- Regular washing of the car to avoid the possibility of rust.
- Avoid your gas tank from getting low before filling fluid.
- Regular checking of the fluids.
- Do not overload your vehicles.
How Long Do Dodge Grand Caravans Last | Watch Video
I hope you enjoyed and found interesting the article, “how long do Dodge Grand Caravan last? For further reading, do check this out Infiniti Q50 Reliability? Complete Information About How Long Do Infiniti Q50